Saturday, November 7, 2009

Salata de Boeuf


A couple of times a month, I make chicken soup and usually with the chicken and most of the vegetables I use in making the broth, I make a salata de boeuf, which is basically a traditional salad with cooked veggies and chicken that is mixed together with mayonnaise and mustard.
People that know me well, know that I love foods made with mayonnaise. While it may not be the healthiest of favorites, I am a believer in the 90/10 rule... follow a strict diet 90% of the time, and allow for some lenience 10% of the time.
Anyway, this salad, is very tasty, and it's a great salad to serve during get togethers, at least at my house it is a favorite!
There are hundreds of different ways to make this, but here is my version:

1 3-lb. whole poached chicken
6-8 carrots, boiled until tender
1 small parsnip, boiled until tender
1/2 of 1 celery root, boiled until tender (this is optional)
(The above ingredients are what I put into my chicken stock, so I just take them out of the soup, and let them cool before using them)
3 potatoes, boiled until tender and peeled
2 cups peas, boiled until tender
6-8 medium sized dill pickles

Remove the meat from the chicken, and neatly dice it so that the cubes are small and even. Repeat with the carrots, parsnip, celery root, potatoes and pickles. All of the ingredients should be roughly the same size. Place everything into a large mixing bowl, and add the peas. Add 1 1/2 cups Real Mayonnaise (I use Best Foods) and 3-4 tbls yellow mustard (the amounts are approximate, you can adjust this to your taste). Slowly fold everything together so that it is all coated in the mayonnaise and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh YUM!!! Got to make this soon. It is delicious, and I can't remember now why I rarely make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a favorite at our house, my son LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this more than I ever did before, back at home. Now, when I get home sick, nostalgic, or just crave a Romanian dish, this is the first thing that comes to mind! :) I haven't tried the celery root before. I'll have to try it - Paul loves it.

    ReplyDelete