Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lapte de Pasare

Ile Flottante, or floating island.

On a cold, rainy night, my husband and I and our newborn baby Nicholas were on our way to my parent's house to celebrate my grandma's 81st birthday. Nicholas was 3 days old. I was exhausted and in pain but overwhelmingly happy. My mom had prepared some home made pizza and for dessert, lapte de pasare. Needless to say, the taste was to die for, but the comfort that came with it was indescribable. My mom makes some of the best and most comforting dishes, but this one was different... she made it with the love that only a brand new grandmother can make. This recipe is very special to me, it reminds me of the feelings and emotions I was going through as a brand new mother. My mom was always able to relate to me through her food and especially through this dessert.
Now, every time I make this dish, I remember the warm fuzzy feeling I got that night.

Thanks, Mom, I love you!

4 cups milk (2% or whole) + 1/2 cup milk
1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise with the seeds scraped out
6 eggs, whites and yolks separated
12 tablespoons (the soup kind) sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring milk and vanilla bean and scraped seeds to a simmer, turn heat off so that it doesn't burn.

2. Beat the egg whites with half of the sugar until stiff peaks form.

3. Place a metal serving spoon in the simmering milk so that it heats up and use it to spoon out servings of the egg whites into the milk.

4.Turn the egg whites into the milk after 2 minutes or so, and then let them "cook" on that side too. After another 2 minutes, remove the egg whites and place them in one layer into a deep baking dish, leave room inbetween them so they don't stick. Repeat this until all of the egg whites are done.

5. In a bowl, use a whisk to beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and about 1/2 cup milk (you might need more). Add the corn starch and mix until it is well incorporated.

6. Add some of the hot milk to the cold yok mixture in order to temper it and then gradually combine the two together.

7. Once they are combined, remove the vanilla bean and whisk the milk mixture thoroughly.

8. Gently ladle the milk mixture into the baking dish where the egg whites are sitting.9. Keep warm in the oven at 200 for about 30-45 minutes (any longer and the milk will thicken and become like pudding)

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I can live on this, Rachel! Thank you for the recipe given to me months ago, I have made it over and over, and it's always delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, Angie! This is one of my all time favorites as well! I just found an amazing recipe for an "Ile Flottante a la pistache". I want to try it out soon and I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be making this often this winter season - nothing better to warm the heart [and spirit] :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet. and...sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete